Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Things I'll Miss about Utah: The Mountains


So we're leaving Utah, after 14 years. This is one thing I'll miss. This is my mountain. OK, I know it's not literally my mountain. I've never even set foot on it, and anyway it belongs to the people of the United States of America. Or to the world. Or to nobody. But this is the western peak of Twin Peaks, and it's the mountain I see every time I walk or drive up my street. It's been a rock of peace to me for 13 years. In the summer it looks like this. In the winter it's white. Always it is imposing, and always it calms me down when I look at it.

And the best part about it is that it's not just one mountain; the whole range looks like this, and it goes for maybe a hundred miles in each direction. The house we lived in for a year before we moved to this one had a similar view of Mount Olympus. When I go to the grocery store or to school or wherever, the mountains are there.

People tell me that Albuquerque has similar mountains to the east, but there we'll be living on the west side of town, and the mountains look something like this:
This picture was taken from the balcony of one of the houses we looked at. From the house we're buying you can't see the mountains at all. I'm sure there are other things that are wonderful about Albuquerque, but I'll miss my mountain.

Today in church we sang "Carry On," which starts, "Firm as the mountains around us, Stalwart and brave we stand." I will miss the mountains.

No comments: